Didn’t go out with your buddies this past weekend? Research from Robin Dunbar, professor at Oxford University, suggests that your mental health could suffer because of it.
Males who have frequent interaction with social groups are generally not only more mentally healthy, but are able to recover from sickness faster, according to Dunbar. Simply “talking with mates” might not be enough. He encourages guys to “do stuff” in order to be truly healthy.
“Bonds can be formed through a range of activities from team sports to male banter — or simply having a pint with your pals on a Friday night”, Dunbar says.
Yes, research from an Oxford professor concludes that drinking beer with your bros is good for your wellbeing. For science!
After hearing of Dunbar’s study, the Marketing Director for Guinness, Stephen O’Kelly, had something to add (we wonder why…). “When guys get together physically and more frequently with their mates, their friendships become stronger, better and a richer life results”, O’Kelly declared.
Seeing a solid group of guys twice a week can also help with increasing self-esteem, boosting happiness, and living an overall more exciting life. Good friends can also deter unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as excessive drinking.
So now that you understand the importance of hanging out with your buddies, the next thing is to decide what to do. We’ve made that easy by coming up with…
5 Brotastic Activities
1. Engage in a weekend-long prank battle. Break your group in half and prepare for war. Click here for the ultimate weapon.
2. Travel to the middle of nowhere and set up camp. Nothing brings your manliness out more than camping. Try to keep the electronics to a minimum. You’ll all come back refreshed.
3. Do some volunteer work. It does good for the soul.
4. Go play laser tag. This is an extremely underappreciated game and needs to be played more. It’s especially fun when parents get angry after you obliterate their children. Sorry folks!
5. Play Karaoke. You don’t even need to go out for this (although public humiliation makes it all the more enjoyable). It’s just as fun at your apartment. Click here for YouTube’s KaraokeOnVEVO channel.